For many years’ businesses have invested tremendous amount of money to build state of the art data centers and cybersecurity programs. Potential costs include acquiring a broad range of network and security solutions to minimize the risk of a data breach. Unfortunately, even the best-funded businesses, that make a significant investment in cybersecurity, still get breached. Complicating matters is the fact that many smaller businesses must now address security concerns however they have limited, and in many cases zero on-staff cybersecurity expertise. Before discussing the what a SOC-as-a-Service provides, and its potential benefits it is important to understand the cybersecurity challenges of both the past and present, including:
Building a SOC is Expensive
There are many tangible and intangible costs to building a security operations center. A few of the more expensive costs when building a SOC includes:
- Investment required for building the SOC such as construction costs, acquisition of equipment and staffing. Acquiring and deploying the multiple security solutions required to build an effective SOC can quickly derail a security program.
- The Recurring expenses for operating the SOC such as salaries, maintenance, utilities, and training. The need to operate a SOC around the clock can significantly increase recurring expenses.
- Cost of adapting to security changes including expenses such as acquiring new technologies to address new threats and staff churn. Unexpected costs can cause SOC costs to skyrocket quickly.
Maintaining a SOC is Challenging
Staffing a SOC can be a big challenge. Operating an effective SOC requires having a staff of highly qualified security professionals, across a broad spectrum of network and information security disciplines. Challenges can quickly arise in this area including:
- The complexity of security solutions requires hiring the brightest security talent. It is not a secret that many security solutions are complex. They require the collection, synthesis, and analysis of millions (if not billions) of digital fingerprints. Security professionals that are good at finding the needles in the security data haystack are difficult to hire and maintain.
- Inability to staff the right security skills. Unfortunately, there is a significant shortage of cybersecurity professionals across the world. The economics of supply and demand in this area results in a competitive recruitment challenges including staffing sticker shock and frequent staffing churn.
- A need for continuous staff training. The cybersecurity landscape is constantly changing. Therefore, businesses with a SOC must continually train staff to keep current on state-of-the-art security practices and technology.
SOC-as-a-Service Can Help
Businesses can solve many of these challenges by subscribing to a managed SOC-as-a-Service program. SOC-as-a-Service can be beneficial across the spectrum of SOC requirements including environments that need to fill specific cybersecurity staffing, technology or process gaps all the way to organizations that need assistance across an entire cybersecurity program.
Buyer Beware Not All SOC-as-a-Service Offerings are the Same
The most significant benefit of SOC-as-a-Service is access to fully qualified security professionals, across a broad range of security disciplines, using state-of-the-art security solutions, at a fraction of the cost of an on-premise SOC. When selecting SOC-as-a-Service, it is important to make sure the service provider provides more than just managed security monitoring. Many providers are capable of delivering around the clock security monitoring but cannot address broader security concerns including proper incident response, vulnerability management, patch management, and compliance reporting. An emerging class of Security-as-a-Service providers can deliver far more than a basic Security-Monitoring or SOC-as-a-Service provider. Additional services should include executive-level cybersecurity advisory services and management of other fundamental security capabilities including vulnerability management, patch management, and compliance reporting.
When selecting a cybersecurity service provider, it’s important they deliver benefits that align with your businesses needs including:
Comprehensive Capabilities to Guard Data
- A 24x7 SOC-as-a-Service should ensure security is monitored around the clock by a staff of well-qualified security professionals
- Managed security services should decrease the risk of breach to sensitive personally identifiable information (PII), protected health information (PHI), intellectual property (IP) data, and much more thorough continuous monitoring
Addresses Compliance Needs
- Any reputable SOC-as-a-Service will deliver comprehensive reporting that aligns with the requirements of regulations and cybersecurity standards
- Service offerings should help address compliance reporting for PCI DSS, SOX, GLBA, FFIEC, HIPAA, NIST, and others
Optimizes Use of Security Solutions to Detect Issues
- A well-respected SOC-as-a-Service will ensure critical security controls are in place and operating for maximum benefit to detect security concerns
- In many cases, a SOC-as-a-Service can leverage security solutions already in place to detect issues, reducing the need to acquire additional solutions
Delivers Ability to Respond to Threats
- A SOC-as-a-Service should provide sufficiently trained security professionals that understand security and provide focused remediation guidance to ensure proper protection of IT assets
- You're not alone. An effective SOC-as-a-Service should deliver experts to answer any questions, no matter the time of day across a broad range of security concerns
Cygilant SOC-as-a-Service Focuses on Delivering the Right People and Security Services
Cygilant is proud to offer the best quality managed security services to our customers. Our objective is to ensure the networks of our clients are secure.
To meet the needs of our clients, Cygilant has three main principles:
- Commitment to customers; our clients deserve the best-managed security solutions to protect their valuable assets.
- Commitment to cybersecurity expertise; we work hard to maintain the most qualified cybersecurity staff in the industry.
- Commitment to client relationships; In the end, our team is an extension of your team. We want to make sure our services are accessible, cost-effective, and meet the needs of clients.
Cygilant Provides Industry Leading SOC-as-a-Service
Cygilant is proud to deliver industry-leading security services for our clients. Cygilant SOC-as-a-Service provides unrivaled depth of security monitoring knowledge, the ability to deploy and manage the best proactive and reactive security monitoring technologies, and strong operational procedures to provide an enterprise-class cybersecurity program, at a fraction of the cost of doing it yourself. Also, our SOC-as-a-Service can be complemented with additional Security-as-a-Service offerings to ensure meeting important security fundamentals including vulnerability assessment, patch management, and compliance reporting.
Cygilant’s SOC-as-a-Service can help security-conscious businesses quickly:
- Fill gaps in the current security program, whether it’s achieving a specific security capability or building a SOC program from scratch
- Gain access to extensive cybersecurity expertise, including a dedicated security advisor, senior security professionals, and day-to-day security operations staff
- Address the complex and constantly changing security landscape, including finding and patching emerging vulnerabilities promptly
Talk to an Expert
Learn how Cygilant can reduce your security vulnerabilities, improve your security workflow, and help you meet compliance mandates.
Please complete all required fields.